Friday, December 4, 2015

EIGHTEENTH BIRTHDAY




EIGHTEENTH BIRTHDAY 

by Victor P. Gendrano

      Jasmine dances the waltz with such grace that it aches my heart to watch her in a stranger's arms, she who is my favorite, my first-born granddaughter, bubbly in her recent 18th birthday debut. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was cuddling her to sleep...Tempus fugit! 

growing pains
she dances with strangers
my daughter's daughter

And now, Jasmine is bound for college. She told her grandma that she will also be an elementary schoolteacher like her. Knowing her ability, I know she will turn out to be a good one and her students will have been lucky to have her. 

end of summer
the cocoon rides the wind
her empty room

Published in World Haiku Review
Vol. II, Issue 1, March 2002

POSTSCRIPT:

True to her promise to her grandma that she will be also a schoolteacher, Jasmine has been a successful one for sometime now teaching in a  public elementary school. To top her late grandma's achievements, she is currently finishing her Master's degree in Education. Grandma Lucy and I are indeed very proud of you Jas!

No comments: